The Environmental Safeguard Specialist will support the Team Leader and shall carryout the following indicative tasks:
1. Review the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) and / Initial Environmental Examination (IEE) Report and update the reports to reflect the final designs for each of the sub-projects;
2. Ensure conduct of public awareness campaigns prior to start of construction activities and carry out periodic consultations with the relevant stakeholders to ensure the effectiveness of the EMP and document these consultations in the Safeguard Monitoring Reports (SMR);
3. Assist the PMU in CRZ/Environmental clearance applications
4. Work with Marine Ecologist / Biologist in updating and implementing the EMP in all relevant project components, marine ecosystems in particular,
5. Assist the PMU in the implementation of the Grievance Redressal Mechanism and document the issues in the SMR.
6. If there are unanticipated environmental impacts in the project (such as the Covid 19), prepare an environmental assessment and EMP to assess the potential risks and impacts, evaluate the alternatives, and outline mitigation measures and resources to address the impacts,
7. Work with PMU to ensure that all construction permits and clearances are complete and valid;
8. Provide technical assistance to the PMU on the preparations and revisions of ESMR;
9. Review the monthly Contractor’s EMP Implementation Report and the construction progress, and verify its effectiveness in achieving the mitigation objectives;
10. Conduct necessary training and capacity building of both the Contractor and the PMU staff on EMP implementation;
11. Ensure preparation and timely submission of the EMP implementation progress report to PMU on a monthly and quarterly basis and to ADB bi-annually;
12. Assist the EA in the conduct and implementation of an Environmental Audit Plan in line with the CAG Environmental Audits;
13. Prepare and submit an Environmental Compliance Audit Report to PMU and ADB periodically;
14. Provide inputs on procurement and bidding process; and
15. Provide assistance to ADB and PMU on any environment related activities.